Dr. Hong Yu is an Associate Professor and Interim Director of the Ted Rogers School of Retail Management. Prior to joining Ryerson in 2004, she was on faculty at Oklahoma State University. Since 2005, she has served as a Visiting Professor at universities in the Greater China Region. Dr. Yu has taught in Ryerson’s MBA program and supervises the Major Research Papers. She has completed 13 funded research projects and published 48 academic papers in peer reviewed international journals and conferences since 2001. She co-authored a paper that won “Best Paper Award” in Europe and was the lead-author of a visual merchandising program that received “Education Technology Award” in the U.S.
Dr. Yu was a Consumer Scientist at Maytag Appliances in the U.S. before entering the academic field. She has also served as a consultant for retail design and fashion companies on their visual merchandising, branding, and international expansion strategies.
Research and Professional Contributions
With backgrounds in design and retailing, Dr. Yu specializes in researching consumer behaviour and marketing strategies in the context of experience economy. Her current consumer research focuses on studying shopping experiences and behaviours of low vision shoppers and elderly shoppers. Dr. Yu’s marketing research focuses on how product innovation, retail environment and service designs contribute to effective marketing strategies.
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA
- M.Eng, Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, P.R. China
- B.Eng, Tianjin Polytechnic University, P.R. China
Refereed Journal Publications:
- Yu, H., Tullio-Pow, & Akhtar, A. (2015). Retail Design and the Visually Impaired: A Needs Assessment. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services.
- Michon, R., Chebat, J.-C., Yu, H., and Lemarie, L. (2015). Fashion orientation, shopping mall environment, and patronage intentions: A study of female fashion shoppers. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 19(1). http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-09-2012-0055
- Jin, B., Yu, H., & Kang, J. H. (2013). Challenges in Western-Chinese business relationships: The Chinese perspective. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 31(2), 179-192.
- Yu, H. (2011). Profiling Chinese fashion shoppers in Beijing: Mall Activities, shopping outcome, and demographics. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing,2(1),11-19.
- Refereed Conference Papers:
- Yu, H., Zhao, P., & Xia, J. (2014). Design Strategies in a Transitional Economy: The Case of Chinese Underwear Enterprise Aimer Group, Ltd. Paper presented at the Global Marketing Conference at Singapore, Singapore, July 15-18, 2014.
- Yu, H. & Pan, S. (2013). Inclusive Apparel Products and Retail Environments for Elderly Consumers: A Chinese Perspective. Paper presented at the Include 2013 conference, Hong Kong, China, July 2-3, 2013.
- Rahman, O. & Yu, H. (2012). Consumer Perceptions and Gender Factors: Preferences and Behaviours towards Collaborative Branding and Information Sources. Paper presented presentation at the 2012 Global Marketing Conference at Seoul, Seoul, Republic of Korea, July 19-22, 2012.
- Chebat, J.-C., Michon, R., Yu, H., & Smith, D. (2012). Fashion Orientation, Shopping Mall Environment, and Patronage Intentions: A Study of Female Fashion Shoppers. Paper presented at the 2012 Global Marketing Conference at Seoul, Seoul, Republic of Korea, July 19-22, 2012.
- Cheng, C.Y. & Yu, H. (2012). Apparel Product Attributes and Shopping Experience for Elderly Consumers: A Regional Comparison of Taiwan and Mainland China. Paper presented at the BIFT/ITAA 2012 Symposium, Beijing, P. R. China, March 27-29, 2012.
- Yu, H. & Tao, H. (2012). Modelling Chinese Fashion Leaders’ Response to the Mall Retail Environment. Paper presented at the BIFT/ITAA 2012 Symposium, Beijing, P. R. China, March 27-29, 2012.
- Yu, H. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2011). Inclusive Retail Servicescapes and Shopping Experiences for the Visually Impaired: An Ethnographic Study. Paper presented at the Design4Health 2011 conference, Sheffield, United Kingdom, July 13-15, 2011.
- Ni, Y. & Yu, H. (2011). Transitioning from Contract Manufacturing to Luxury Branding: A Premium Fashion Enterprise in China. Paper presented at the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes 2011 conference, Paris, France, April 13-15, 2011.
- Yu, H. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2011). Inclusive Retailer: Visually Impaired Shoppers’ Perceptions and Preferences. Paper presented at the Include 2011 conference, London, United Kingdom, April 18-20, 2011.
- Tullio-Pow, S. & Yu, H. (2010). Universal Design: Apparel Concerns Related to Low Vision. Paper presented at the International Textile and Apparel Association 2010 Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, October 27-30, 2010.
- Yu, H. (2010). Profiling Chinese Fashion Shoppers at a Mall in Beijing. Paper presented at the 2010 Global Marketing Conference at Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan, September 9-11, 2010.
- Yu, H. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2010). Retail Design and the Visually Impaired: A Needs Assessment. Paper presented at the 2010 Design Research Society (DRS) international conference Design & Complexity, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 7-9, 2010.
- 2006 Best Paper Award. The European Association of Education and Research in Commercial Distribution 2006 Conference, United Kingdom
- 2004 2nd Place Educational Technology Award, Southern Region NEAFCS Annual Awards Program for an educational program entitled “Visual Merchandising: The ‘Silent Salesperson’”, USA
- 2004 Educational Technology Award, Oklahoma Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences for an educational program entitled “Visual Merchandising: The ‘Silent Salesperson’”, USA
- 2001-present American Collegiate Retailing Association
- 2000-present Association of Consumer Research
- 1997-present International Textile and Apparel Association