Howard has received a MA in Economics from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and Ph.D. in Business Administration from the Oklahoma State University. Prior to his positions in Ryerson University, he taught at Penn State’s School of Professional Graduate Studies and University of Windsor where he founded the Centre for Asia Business Studies. He is the Vice President (research) of the Canadian Council for Small Business & Entrepreneurship and former Canada Chapter Chair of the Academy of International Business and. Dr. Lin is the founder of the Canadian Entrepreneurship & Innovation Platform, a non-profit organizati
on that promotes and facilitates Canada-based transnational entrepreneurship. He was the recipient of several awards for his services and volunteer work in the immigrant communities.
Dr. Lin was an economist at Bank of China’s headquarters in Beijing before coming to study in the U.S. He served as the director for international business assistance at USDA’s Center for International Trade Development in Stillwater in 1995-1997.
Research and Professional Contributions
With backgrounds in international business and marketing, Dr. Lin has devoted his earlier research efforts to international joint venture, cross-cultural consumer behavior, and management of Chinese firms and has published in scholarly journals such as Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Management International Review, Journal of World Business, Journal of International Marketing, and Journal of Business Ethics. His current research is focused on immigrant entrepreneurship and cross-border innovation as well as emerging market based multinational enterprises.
Dr. Lin is Academic Adviser to the Center for the Study of Overseas Chinese Entrepreneurs at the Tsinghua University and the Center for China & Globalization, a top think-tank in in China. He is on the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Canada Team since 2014. Dr. Lin serves on the editorial board of several academic journals such as Journal of Small Business Management. He has supervised dissertations by PhD students across China, Australia, Jamaica, Spain, and UK.
- Ph.D. (Marketing), Oklahoma State University, USA
- M.S. (Economics), Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, China
- B.A., (Philosophy), Central Nationality University, China
China-Related Research Work
- Li, J., & Lin, X. (2017). Assessing Credit Guarantee Companies in China: Applying a New Framework. China Economic Review, 44, 98–111.
- Lin, X., & Yang, X. (2017). From Human Capital Externality to Entrepreneurial Aspiration: Effect of Migration Network on Trade. Journal of World Business, 52 (3),360–371.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Jian Guan (2015), “Influence strategies in international strategic alliances: Effects of power, commitment, and national culture”, Journal of Asia Business Studies, forthcoming.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Akın Koçak (2015), “Intention for Venture Creation: How Economic Development and Culture Matter?” Presentation at Academy of Management Annual Conference, Vancouver, August 7-11.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Xiyan Yang (2014), “Revisit the Migration-Trade Linkage: From Human Capital Endowment to Entrepreneurial Engagement”, Presentation at Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Vancouver, June 23-26.
- Lin, Xiaohua, Akın Koçak, Alan Carsrud, Malin Brännback and René Mauer (2014), “To do it or not to do it, it all depends: Cross-cultural differences in the effect of achievement motivation on entrepreneurial intention”, Presentation at Babson Entrepreneurship Research Conference, London, Canada, June 5-8.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Carlyle Farrell (2013), “The Internationalization Strategies of Chinese State and Private Enterprises in Africa.” Journal of African Business, 14 (2), 85-95.
- Yang, Xiyan and Xiaohua Lin (2013), “Effects of Outward Migration on Inward FDI: From Social Networks to Human Capital”, Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June 3-6.
- Quan, Jin, and Xiaohua Lin (2013), “From Founding Team Diversity to New Venture Performance: Mediation of Interaction Quality,” Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship annual conference, Victoria, May 2-4.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Shaw Tao (2012), “Transnational entrepreneurs: Characteristics, drivers, and success factors.” Journal of International Entrepreneurship, 10 (1), 50-69.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Shavin Malhotra (2012), “To Adapt or Not to Adapt: The Moderating Effect of Perceived Similarity in Cross-Cultural Interaction.” International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 36 (1), 118-129.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Guangqian Wu (2011), “Technological Capability Building in Automotive Industry: Comparing China to Korea”, Asia Pacific and Globalization Review, 1 (1), 1-15.
- Drori, Israel, Benson Honig, Yuval Kalish, and Xiaohua Lin (2011), “Return Migration and Network Structure in China,” Proceedings of Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship annual conference, Windsor, Sep 29-Oct 1. BEST PAPER AWARD
- Lin, Xiaohua (2010), “The Diaspora Solution to National Technological Capacity Development: Immigrant Entrepreneurs in the Contemporary World,” Thunderbird International Business Review, 52 (2): 123-136.
- Lin, Xiaohua (2010), “Contemporary Diaspora Entrepreneurship: A Conceptual and Comparative Framework,” in Benson Honig et al. (eds.) Transnational and Immigrant Entrepreneurship in a Globalized World, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 31-59.
- Lin, Xiaohua, Jian Guan and Mary Jo Nicholson (2008), “Transnational Entrepreneurs as Agents of International Innovation Linkages”, Research Report for Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada http://www.asiapacific.ca/files/Analysis/2008/ImmigEntrepreneurs.pdf
- Wang, Cheng Lu and Xiaohua Lin (2009), “Chinese Consumer Values: Cultural Tradition and Contemporary Renaissance.” Journal of Business Ethics, 88 (3): 399-409.
- Nakhaie, Reza, Xiaohua Lin and Jian Guan (2009), “Social Capital and Myth of Minority Self- Employment: Evidence from Canada,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 34 (4), 625-644.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Cheng Lu Wang (2008), “Enforcement and Performance: The Role of Ownership, Legalism and Trust in International Joint Ventures.” Journal of World Business, 43 (3), 340-351.
- Ursel, Nancy, Xiaohua Lin, Jessica Li (2006), “Investing in Emerging Equity Markets: The Case of Chinese ADRs versus B Shares,” Multinational Business Review, 14 (2), 83-98.
- Lin, Xiaohua (2005), “Local Partner Acquisition of Managerial Knowledge in International Joint Ventures: Focusing on Foreign Management Control,” Management International Review, 45 (2): 219-237.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Richard Germain (2003), “Organizational Structure, Context, Customer Orientation, and Performance: Lessons from Chinese State-Owned Enterprises,” Strategic Management Journal, 24 (11), 1131-1151.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Steve Miller (2003), “Negotiation Approaches: Direct and Indirect Effect of National Culture,” International Marketing Review, 20 (3), 286-303.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Jian Guan (2002), “Patient Satisfaction and Referral Intension: Effects of Minority Experience, Patient-Physician Match on Ethnic Origin and Cultural Similarity,” Health Marketing Quarterly, 20 (2), 49-68.
- Spears, Nancy, Xiaohua Lin, and John Mowen (2001), “Time Orientation across Mexico, China, and the United States: Measurement and Insights for Promotional Strategy,” Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 13 (1): 57-75.
- Lin, Xiaohua and Richard Germain (1998), “Sustaining Satisfactory Joint Venture Relationships: The Role of Conflict Resolution Strategy,” Journal of International Business Studies, 29 (1): 197-214.
- Ryerson University SRC Award (2010)
Ryerson University Office of Research Services
- Ontario Volunteer Award (2009)
Ontario Minister of Immigration and Settlement
- Windsor University SRC Award (2005)
University of Windsor
- Recognition for Contributions to Employment Equity (2002-04)
University of Windsor
- Research Excellence Award (2003)
Odette School of Business, University of Windsor
- Diversity Recognition Award (2000)
Pennsylvania State University, Great Valley
- Exceptional Leadership Award (1992)
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
- GMS 724: Management of International Enterprise
- MB8201: Strategic Management Challenges in the International Environment
- Academy of Management
- Academy of International Business
- Administrative Science Association of Canada
- Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship