Executive Summary of Annual Report
Canada-China Institute for Business & Development
- Hosted the 29th annual conference of the Canadian Council for Small Business & Entrepreneurship (CCSBE) Oct 16-17, 2020. Five council members serve on the Academic Committee with Howard Lin chairing the committee. CCIBD’s involvement has helped make the conference one of the best conferences ever for CCSBE.
- Co-hosted a forum titled “Prospect of Canada-Chia Relations after the U.S. Election” on December 6, 2020. Invited panelists include
- John Baird, former Foreign Minister of Canada
- Guy Saint-Jacques, former Ambassador to China
- Yuen Pau Woo, Senate of Canada
- Cheng Li, Director, John L. Thornton China Center, Brookings Institute
- Published 8 papers in referred journals, including ABDC A-ranked Journal of Consumer Affairs, Journal of Policy Modelling, and Applied Economics.
- Published 1 book, 1 book chapter, and 1 case.
- Awarded 8 grants as principal investigator, co-investigator, or collaborator.
- Made 13 presentations at conferences such as AIB and AoM.
- 9 papers under review with referred journals.
- Hosted sabbatical visit by Dr. William Wei from MacEwan University.
- Partnered with the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China in developing events concerning Canada-China relationships.
- Hired two work study students as project assistant.
- Set up a Ryerson student volunteer team to facilitate CCSBE annual conference.
- Hong Yu hosted Zhiyu Xia, an undergraduate student Sun Yat-Sen University, China through the MITACS Globallink Research Internships program.
- Spoke to media in China and other global affairs. For example, Vik Singh was interviewed with media more than 20 times.
- Delivered speech at international conferences. For example, Ken Grant at the 3rd New Business International Conference in Zhejiang, China and the 15th European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship (ECIE) in Rome, Italy.
- Howard Lin, servicing as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship (JSBE), helped WEKH to develop a special issue on women entrepreneurship and worked with UCLA Asia Pacific Center to organize another special issue on Chinese entrepreneurship.